Articles, Equality

Biphobia: The Attitude that Plagues the LGBTQ Community

odd one out

Bisexual people are often more ill-treated than other members of the LGBTQ community.
Image: Shutterstock

We talk all the time about how homophobia pervades societal understanding and treatment of gay and lesbian people. The late activist and author Audre Lorde defined homophobia as “the belief in the inherent superiority of one pattern of loving, and thereby the right to dominance and the fear of feelings of love for a member of one’s own sex, and the hatred of those feelings in others.” In considering this definition, it’s no wonder that persecution of gay and lesbian people is incredibly problematic and leads to the systemic oppression of the entire queer community. However, just as LGBTQ is a blanketing acronym, homophobia in and of itself isn’t enough to describe the ill treatment that some members of the LGBTQ community receive more than others.

Biphobia is something that has a very real presence within the gay community, and embodies an attitude that is widely overlooked. Folks who identify as bisexual often receive persecution from heterosexuals who deem their identity “a passing phase,” or simply illegitimate. What’s even more alarming is the prevailing trend within the LGBTQ community of gays and lesbians marginalizing bisexuals. Biphobia is not a mindset belonging exclusively to heterosexuals; it’s a form of discrimination that members of the queer community enact on bisexual-identified people also.bisexuality info graphic

What are some of the worst implications of biphobia? Activist, scholar, and bisexual Robyn Ochs writes that “Gay- and lesbian-identified individuals frequently view us as either confused or interlopers possessing a degree of privilege not available to them, and many heterosexuals see us as amoral, hedonistic spreaders of disease and disrupters of families,” touching on how lesbians and gays, as well as heterosexuals, perceive bisexual people. Because heterosexual people have societal privilege, some believe that gays and lesbians further persecute the already marginalized bisexuals in their LGBTQ community as a means of establishing their superiority.

Bisexual author Amy Andre possesses the same attitude as Ochs, developed by harrowing personal experience. She explains that the bisexual identity is constantly perceived as illegitimate, and that she has received equal ill treatment from the gay community and heterosexuals. According to Andre, “Homophobia typically says, ‘The way you love is not equal to the way I love,’ but biphobia says, ‘You don’t love. I don’t/can’t/won’t believe in the possibility of the way you love,’” dissecting the difference between homophobia and the way that bisexuals are perceived.

Ochs’ and Andre’s examples outline the root of biphobia: the belief that bisexuals are confused, or fake, or wrong about their own deeply personal sexual identity. Understanding the roots of biphobia will be a critical tool in achieving universal equality for all sexual orientations.

Visit Robyn Ochs’ bisexual resource page to learn more.

Tags: , , , , ,

22 Responses to “Biphobia: The Attitude that Plagues the LGBTQ Community”

1. On October 10, 2013 at 12:19 am jar responded with... #

Why is it that the author and Ochs and the like express far more shock at and condemnation of the gay and lesbian community in their battle for equality? I would posit it is because they are less interesting in threatening their privilege in the heterosexual world than they are caterwauling about their poor treatment in the gay and lesbian world in their pursuit of pleasure. Bisexuality, as a poilitical construct, consists of heterosexual privilege with homosexual privilege. Challenging the heterosexual world would only serve to threaten the privileges they enjoy there. Much better to challenge the homosexual world for denying them easy access to the pleasure they desire. It is ironic that the bisexual community (rightly) complains of their invisibility, but spends less time trying to build a community than it does complaining that the gay and lesbian community doesn’t accept them as one of our own. By your own claims, you are a separate sexual identity. (I agree with this position.) Build that community instead of whining about the mean gays and you may find the acceptance you seek. We in the g&l community have much history in that area that we would be willing to share. Just stop calling us biphobic because we recognize the very difference you wish to be seen.

• On October 11, 2013 at 1:08 pm admin responded with... #

Thanks for your insightful comments. The bisexual community certainly doesn’t fit neatly into one category or the other, so I can see that there is need for a unique community to be created. At the same time, though, it isn’t right that they should be denied access to other communities with which they identify. Sexual identity is a much more complex thing than many would like to believe, and I would say that trying to neatly label and separate people out into many different exclusive groups is a step in the wrong direction. While it is very important to have a group of people you strongly identify with, that doesn’t mean one can’t be included in multiple groups. And just because someone wants to be recognized as unique doesn’t necessarily mean they want a label slapped on them. If we’re truly believing in, and pushing for, equality for all–then we’ve got to stop thinking that someone being different means they should be discriminated against and pushed out of communities they want to be a part of. Inclusivity (new word, I just made it up) is the answer, not exclusivity.

• On April 26, 2014 at 6:15 pm jar responded with... #

Thanks for your reply. I don’t condone discrimination of any sort. I would argue that making expectations of people based upon their class status (eg, G&L people) is a subtle form of discrimination. That is, the expectation that oppressed people should be held to a higher standard of behavior because of their oppression. I find that notion problematic for a number of reasons, most significantly that it claims entitlement over the oppressed, which is merely a reinforcement of oppression itself.

I must say I find your belief that separating people into different groups is a move in the wrong direction to be extremely naive. One can participate in a number of groups of varying definition at the same time. For example, in the gay community, there have traditional been women- and men-only spaces. That was not a problem, but actually provided spaces, particularly for our sisters, where they could be free to express themselves (and in some cases, cruise). G&L folks have always had an understanding of respecting some exclusives spaces, while also coming together in other spaces. I find nothing discriminatory in this practice. And that is what I refer to in my earlier comment: bisexuals should create spaces for themselves. that does not mean we do not all come together as well, socially and particularly as activists.

In close, I find a real sense of entitlement that underlies the disproportionate criticism of G&L folks by bisexuals. It’s as if you cannot accept the fact that certain doors are closed to you, a lesson that every gay or lesbian American understands at an early age. We accepted that fact and dealt with it by creating our own spaces. I recommend that bisexuals do the same.

• On April 23, 2014 at 7:00 pm ctownchick1 responded with... #

Allow me to first just say: Wow… such hubris.

Caterwauling and whining is best reserved for those who make such baseless claims regarding the so-called heterosexual or homosexual “privilege” which you posit about bisexuals – myself included.

Also, we’re not gay, straight, or otherwise, so yes it IS a separate identity. We will therefore NOT be lumped in with an identity which others like to conclude based on this misconception of “privilege”, or with whom we’re seen in public with, intimate or not – fellow queerfolk included.

If anything, ALL queerfolk should be combating MONOSEXISM, which is exactly what bisexuals like myself will not tolerate – and especially from those within our own ranks from whom we’d otherwise expect the very societal inclusion and human recognition we are ALL supposedly fighting for.

I rest my case.

• On April 26, 2014 at 6:16 pm jar responded with... #

I’d be curious to hear about this homosexual privilege of which you speak. I’ve not experienced it.

• On May 10, 2014 at 8:41 am zooky responded with... #

I doubt that ctownchick had heard of it either, until you saw fit to mention it in your original post: “Bisexuality, as a poilitical construct, consists of heterosexual privilege with homosexual privilege. “

• On June 16, 2014 at 8:40 pm jar responded with... #

That was a typo. Should read homosexual pleasure.

• On October 10, 2015 at 8:27 pm Katz responded with... #

“Bisexuality, as a poilitical construct, consists of heterosexual privilege with homosexual privilege”

Why blame the bisexual for the existence of het privilege? How does your “construct” work, when a bisexual in a monogamous relationship, is with a same-sex partner and doesn’t conform to the biphobic stereotype of “leaving for an opposite-sex ‘lifestyle’ eventually”? During the course of this same-sex relationship involving at least one bisexual, where does the “heterosexual privilege” come in?

Yes there will always be people passing, “using the wrong label” either deliberately or “unknowingly”…but the point is to recognize and accept there are people who are attracted to, and are capable of having relationships without gender being the only or major determinant. If straights and gays cannot imagine bisexual exist, would either group have also imagined same-sex marriage (such a “deviation” from the traditions of that institution!) could exist in all 50 states just 20 years ago?

2. On January 12, 2014 at 7:56 pm Matthew responded with... #

I am a 41 year old bi male. The problem with creating a bisexual community has been largely generational. I know bi men and women in long term same sex and opposite sex relationships. Our lives unfold in different ways. Today is a different world than twenty years ago because we have access to the Internet we can now finally find each other. A lot of the Biphobic complaints against some gays and straight people is bisexual people are healing from past negative experiences. Today I date primarily other bisexual men and women and trans men and women. In these circles I can be all of myself. But there are some interesting conundrums I face. For example I am dating a transgendered man with all the “female” plumbing but we pass as a “gay couple”. We need the support of the gay community as we face homophobia and yet our needs are quite different than a gay male couple (aka birth control etc.)

The mistake made on this subject is the idea that bisexual men and women were not around all these years when the first college homophile organization was founded by a bisexual man (Stephan Donaldson) while the first gay pride parade was started by a bisexual woman (Brenda Howard). We are here, we have always been here and we deserve to be included in areas we can be included. That does not mean invading all gay and lesbian exclusive spaces, but being able to be apart of the LGBT rights movement is important to many of us and our voices need to be heard and we don’t like being erased everytime we say who we are.

• On January 17, 2014 at 2:41 pm admin responded with... #

Matthew,
      Thank you so much for taking the time to share your insightful, deeply personal reaction to the issues this article discussed. Visibility for all identities that are grouped within the LGBTQ umbrella is absolutely critical in gaining equality for all individuals. “…being able to be apart of the LGBT rights movement is important to many of us and our voices need to be heard and we don’t like being erased everytime we say who we are.”- this eloquent sentiment is one that I believe is shared by many members of the LGBTQ community, indeed. Again, I thank you for contributing a smart, personal, and beautifully-written reaction to the article. Cheers.

3. On January 19, 2014 at 12:42 pm Matthew responded with... #

In response to the person above (jar). You must understand that at 17 years of age I went through a lot of what young gay men would go through: Being kicked out of my father’s home, being called faggot on the streets of my home town, being rejected from the military etc. (I grew up in a town of 6,000 people and came out as bisexual). My highschool guidance counselor gave me a pamphlet that said “gay and bisexual” and said “go find a place where you can be yourself. I actually picked up and moved to a big city. I met gay men and said “I am bisexual” and was laughed at. I got into art school, asked a male friend out (who said no), then met a girl and we started dating. We went to an LGBU meeting and were laughed at and told not to return. We avoided the gay and lesbian students for a year while we were in our relationship. A year later I was ridiculed by every gay student in LGBU because a gay instructor told them to ridicule me in the hallways. When a different gay teacher heard what was going on he put everything to a stop and introduced me to a bisexual friend of his (who was mostly gay but did date women) so I had someone to talk to. Things went pretty well after that for about ten years but in my 30’s I was single again, out as bisexual, and went through a whole long string of harassment from some gay and straight people. Yes I finally made the decision to only date other bisexual people and to create my own community.

I have had some wonderfully supportive gay men in my life including past boyfriends, I have had some support from straight people to including girlfriends and straight male friends. Now was the discrimination from the gay community worse than the straight community? Well the discrimination from part of the straight community has been violent in which I feared my life and safety and often from the extremely ignorant. But the discrimination in the gay community has been insidious it has had an accumulative effect and if I listed it off you would probably agree how terrible it is including job discrimination, gay men trying to break me up with women, harassment in school and professional contexts. The discrimination from some gay men is shocking to me, because it has come often from the most “liberal” segment of the population who really should know better or in the very least listen.

Do I personally wish to hold onto the resentment? Not really! But I will not pretend that these abuses did not happen. A lot of what must happen now is bisexual men and women need to find each other heal, and forgive both straight and gay people. Many bisexual men and women I know are in relationships with gays and Lesbians (including Robyn Ochs) so the idea of a completely seperate community is a ludicrous notion. LGBT will naturally be bunch of intersecting communities and we actually need to start working together to create a better future for all.

4. On March 5, 2014 at 6:09 pm Ari responded with... #

Hey, I don’t know if this will matter to you much, but may I say that things have gotten better (at least in the younger generations?). My school’s GSA has a opposite-sex couple (I think they’re just allies, but they could be bi), a bi male, and quite of bi females , no one has treated any of them differently. Granted, I still suspect I will face discrimination for my sexuality later on and this open HS community will hardly be much help to you now, but that better future may not so far away.

• On March 7, 2014 at 10:04 am admin responded with... #

Thank you for your thoughtful reply, Ari. We’re glad to hear that high school (a place that can be full of turmoil and anxiety for some) is a safe space for you. Your optimism is really refreshing; we’re a certainly hopeful of a more equal future as well.

• On March 20, 2014 at 10:30 am Darren responded with... #

I think the younger generation are far far more accepting of homosexuality anyway. Most people I know are straight but an awful lot of them pride themselves on how anti-homophobia they are. I often see it on facebook. It’d be completely socially unacceptable to say extremely homophobic things inthe younger circles I move in. Opposition to same-sex marriage is widely denounced also.

That said, I don’t think there is anywhere near the same acceptance of bi people. You generally get assumed to be gay, (if you’re a guy anyway) and people will say how they accept you as gay. But few acknowledge that bisexuals are different. I’ve often head biphobic comments though. And lots of bisexual erasure but I’ve never heard anyone stand up for bi people like they’d routinely do for gay people.
      My best female friend told me there is no way she’d date a bi guy. Hearing that sort of rejection of people like you from those closest to you hurt. I’ve often been told there’s no such thing as bisexuals, you’re a fraud, lying in denial etc. Or that all bisexuals are dirty, dishonest, cheater, can’t be trusted. It’s still seen as okay to dismiss or be condescend to and about bi people.

Like the group in your school is a gay-straight alliance. No acknowledgement of bisexuals.

• On March 21, 2014 at 8:55 am admin responded with... #

Darren,
        Thank you for taking the time to formulate such a thoughtful, constructive comment. The point you make about bisexual erasure is particularly relevant, and an experience that many bisexual people share. It’s so critical to talk about these issues in order to create visibility for marginalized groups of all kinds. I’m hopeful that the dialogue surrounding bisexual health, sexuality, and social stigmas will become broader in the near future.

5. On April 23, 2014 at 7:11 pm ctownchick1 responded with... #

Note to the editors:

Great article, but please note your reference to Audre Lorde should have been expressed as “The [late] activist and author Audre Lorde [defined] homophobia as…”, as she is deceased.

Thank you.

• On April 24, 2014 at 8:10 am admin responded with... #

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this article, and for reaching out to us about making corrections. We appreciate the feedback, and they have been made!

6. On August 7, 2014 at 6:38 am Matt responded with... #

I am bisexual and I think that this is slowly changing but I also feel like bisexuality is unfairly seen in a light from a gay/straight paradigm. I also accept that “bisexual” isn’t always legitimate bisexuality but sometimes a means to coming out as gay, a trendy thing popular among teen girls and certain subcultures (I was in the goth scene and almost all of them called themselves “bi”).

Bisexuals play a role in this. The gay and straight paradigm isn’t going to relate to the bisexual struggle the same way that most other struggles are related to. Victimization and pity aren’t going to work for us. There are some people under the guise of bisexuality that play a valid role in these stereotypes. Some “kinky” folks who are into all degrees of kinkiness are bisexual and many of the first loves of gay and lesbian folks as well as bisexuals are those confused people that call themselves “bi” and first loves leave a scar.

I am not saying it is okay but bisexuality needs to be seen for what it is, a separate orientation than both gay or straight people and until bisexuals are a more cohesive group by example then these views will be valid. Once bisexual people demonstrate by example that they are real people who aren’t what people think but in fact have no place in the struggle that gay and straight people have and having been seen as one by the other from both gay and straight people, I can also say that the straight end of the spectrum doesn’t have it as easy as seen. You have to worry about pregnancy and if you are in a straight relationship, even mentioning you are bisexual is pointless when the “guilt trip” wagon comes rolling in.

Given my ability to only really be close friends with straight men, the very people that my teen attempts in the LGBTQ community taught me were hateful, ignorant and homophobic are now my closest friends. Two of them are homophobic but since I became friends with them many of their attitudes are starting to change. Admittedly, I have to say when people like Perez Hilton are allowed to have 3 seconds of attention, that type of person is what many straight people will associate as “gay”. Perez is both a bully and overall rotten person who makes a career out of it and he can tell off all of the Miss Americas that he likes but he’s not a nice person. I have helped some instances of homophobia change their attitudes while the typical gay rights response did the opposite for them.

There are a minority of straight and gay people that say, if you are bi, you are gay and this whole “queer community” concept that many bisexuals try to incorporate and take on, in a way is self inflicted biphobia. I am not ashamed to own the fact that as a bisexual, I understand that we need to be more proactive and organized as an autonomous community or else nobody will understand us at all and we will always be “confused”, “lying” or just plain sluts. It goes both ways, no pun intended but bisexuals need to do a lot for themselves to get themselves where they need to be because I and all of my bi friends see ourselves outside of the gay and straight paradigm as a different orientation altogether as opposed to some sort of sexuality version of a mixed breed. It is what it is but we don’t show much of an example because too many of us just ride on the coattails and stand on the sidelines of gay and lesbian dominant issues and we have yet to show society a respectable example of bisexuality. The confused people and “transitioning to come out as gay” people, as angry as they make me, will not stop using our orientation as a personal cop out once we show them a solid example. Bisexuals are divided too. The straight husband with the bi wife for instance, are basically more of a part of the straight world example and most of them couldn’t care less about any of this. Bisexuals, like me and my friends have more of a bisexual oriented worldview and many others are staying in the LGBTQ community and choosing to adapt, conform or try the “we’re all the queer community” approach and that really doesn’t change much because the LGBTQ community is gay/lesbian dominant and although some issues we deal with overlap, a lot more, like biphobia or even erasure for instance are big issues to us that have no bearing on the lives of gay or straight people. My bi friends and I tend to only date within the bisexual community because in our experience, we have seen very few long term bi and straight/gay couple last long. Our struggles overlap sometimes and in those cases we fight the same war but in others, we are part of the other groups problems (i.e. bisexuality is seen as a threat to the biological model of homosexuality and we tend to manage to get caught up in drama that is between straight and gay folks but in regards to homophobia in some instances and rights we would need in same sex relationships, we are on the same team but same goes with us and straight people. Straight people are not all evil, narrow minded people and sometimes they need patience and tolerance on the other end to understand and smarten up because often they have no idea or they need to be educated).

My straight friends even learned the hard way not to stop calling me or us gay or straight depending on who we are in a relationship is one step we take. We aren’t well liked by the LGBT community in my area because there is this expectation that no matter how badly we are treated, when the gay and lesbians are hell bent of something, we are obligated to stand on their side. In cases where there is overlap, it is valid. However, in cases of gay and straight drama that is really not a bisexual issue, we feel like they are on their own. Much like biphobia is to them, the “battles” that gay and straight people have over the most insignificant things is sometimes humorous to us. We do have different struggles in a lot of ways.

7. On September 4, 2014 at 9:49 pm ... responded with... #

LGBT stands for lesbians, gays, bisexuals, and transexuals. Bisexuals shouldn’t have to create their own community because LGBT is already supposed to include them unless you wanna turn it into LGT. It’s also worth noting that a surprisingly large percentage of the population is bi-sexual. They may not call themselves “bisexual” but they do refer to themselves by words such as bi-curious, heteroflexible, or not completely heterosexual. Bi-sexuality doesn’t necessarily even mean that a bisexual is attracted to men and women equally. A lot of bisexuals still retain a strong preference for the opposite sex. Look at girls who make out at parties and clubs, they supposedly do it for attention but they definitely do it easier than most heterosexual women could. My theory is that it’s because they are bisexuals but with a strong preference for guys. Rarely do we have cases of black and white, almost always it’s a matter of where you are on a grey spectrum.

8. On October 30, 2014 at 12:56 am Matt responded with... #

I am a bisexual male and I personally have bisexual privilege… I will own it, I never had to come out, I started crushing on both during grade school and it was out then and there. With that said, I never felt like I needed to be part of that group because I never came out and wasn’t part of that paradigm. I can’t understand it.

I will say, I have never been taken seriously. I was always seen as some ornament or circus act. I will not date straight or gay people because I am neither of those orientations and I am not one of those bisexual people still holding on to a paradigm which they don’t exist on and these self haters tend to break their orientations up into percentages and think that makes them more or less on one side or the next.

In my area, there is a separate bi community that is very self directed. We tend not to date gay or straight folks and we don’t want any part of it because of that undercurrent of hostility and paranoia. I have mostly straight male friends but that is due to hobbies. Straight men aren’t all evil, it is something about how you guys relate to one another and you both are to blame… we can see it… really, you guys view one another as a threat and you have big egos and are insecure about keeping the straighthood or gayhood… which I cannot personally relate to and I see bisexuality as a different thing… and watching you all fight over some old man or some fast food joint is just pathetic. Don’t ask, don’t tell??? you threw trans people under the bus…

the problem is that the model that gay and straight people use to relate to one another isn’t one that our place fits in as a separate orientation altogether and aside from the fact that the LGBT community is really the white gay community, bisexuality is a threat to the gay, born this way, model as well. Also, bisexuality as an orientation is not distinct, it refers to transitioning to come out, to attention whoring women and men at parties who are drunk, in their late teens or some people thinking that a fantasy is more than it is. Bisexual behaviorwise is much different and more prominent… so the idea that there is no existence is dumb.

Now to my ex boyfriend and I in a scenario. We were on a date but these two girls and their annoying Perez Hilton clone arm ornament were gossiping but really checking us out and they thought we were “bros” and we are both bisexual because I date in my orientation only. We got in an argument when these girls got pissed when we shut them down and called us closet cases and fags and their femme friend came over and bitched about how no masculine men date them over self hate and bla bla bla… they always love to try to seduce straight men but hate us oddly and trust me. They explore with us and experiment because our sexual life is private and I don’t see the point of running around violating their trust like that but really, it is nothing wonderful to us. But yeah, after the queen and two straight girls told us off, the straight girls called some homophobes down and we were happy, they called us a faggot so we broke bones and the queen said “this is one hate crime I don’t mind seeing” and we went and beat his ass too… these girls were of course crying like victims but they started it and we earned the respect of a bunch of straight men because we handled the gay bashers and then laid the mouthy homo out and they all bullied those two girls out of there…

I just hope that the autonomous bi community gets big enough that people will understand that we need to have some example of who and what we are because even to the so called open minded folks, when I argue my assertion to being bisexual or describe the view I see things from, this rampant %gay/%straight type is really where bisexuals fuck themselves over. You gotta assert yourself in your own paradigm because they have theirs set and you cannot have any peace trying. Gays dominate LGBT and their issues are all that has any place there.

Plus, lets follow straight people on one thing… there is a small percentage of bisexuals who live up to every negative thing that gets put on us… one thing I and straight people I know hate about gay people is their denial of the rotten and bad examples in their groups… I was hit on by chickenhawks in my town when I was 13 that were almost 50… these old queens still chase kids around so that type, exists and pretty common too… Many of you and the lowlife bi scum that fuck you have aids because you are too high risk. None of our autonomous bi people in my area have STDs or anything so sticking together and away from your battles with one another will give us a sense of place will change this shit when we all get secure enough to stand on our own… we have overlapping issues but your beef with the straight community is between YOU AND STRAIGHT PEOPLE…. it is a negative stereotype to apply it to everyone but denying it is insincere. I don’t think bisexuals should hate gay or straight people but support both in issues we overlap with and stay out of the TV side show drama they get into for months because it is between them and we have our own issues and they don’t care about biphobia… but really it is because LGBT really means white gay and lesbian problems.

Also, in bisexual oriented communities in my area, there is no need for feminism because we seem to just click once we get the vibe… some went once or twice to LGBT stuff and others tried to stay and some said HELL NO so I think some things are individual… this jargon about phobias and privilege are all in those who are stuck to that paradigm and they just don’t get that a lot of us, when we get enough of us, do fine without either one of them and we don’t have diseases nor do we go to support events to say hi to the few trans people that end up leaving and trying to be friendly, just for social reasons and having to hear the fat straight girl and bitter queen that no gay men want, blame us, call us fake and talk trash and when I tell them I am not into anyone outside of my orientation, I am nazi scum… nope, I am happy. I lived in their world with a view from a 3rd perspective, I hate being assigned to this hetero homo drama and I know some bisexuals in our community initially had felt great not having to sail the waters of the never ending straight/gay war.

There are fakes or those that experiment and think it means their orientation changes but they are really straight men and experimenting is experimenting. If the straight dudes are gay to them, then they are bisexual from when they were closeted and experimented with women. Bisexuals do this to themselves though by playing into their paradigm. That is why they are all on here acting like mind readers with a bad attitude… and bitter queens, since you hate us the most, your rotten attitudes and being glued to nosy overbearing straight fat bitches that are secretly in love with you and getting involved in all your crap is why the manly ones in your crowds don’t like you and you are foolish and overdramatic. Us legit bisexuals are going to smack your paradigm out of our lives and hope that all bisexuals can get out of that monosexist hell you all put them in.

• On August 4, 2015 at 1:36 pm Alec responded with... #

LGBT is supposed to be about achieving equality for all gender and sexual identities. Your bi-exclusive community isn’t doing anything to cure the problem of biphobic attitudes, you’re just hiding from them. Exclusivity and isolationist attitudes are never a good thing.
      Further, your assertions about the sexual health of your community is speculative and therefore fallacious. Unless you mean to say you check every individual for every sexual disease personally? And that’s not even touching on the fact that sexually transmitted infections are pandemic, and not exclusive to one sexual identity.
      And as for your “ex and I” scenario, that is hardly something to be lauded. Violence is the recourse of the uncivilized man, and by resorting to it, you make yourself no better than those who would use violence to oppress or punish you. Other than the defense of self or others unable to defend themselves, their is no provocation to which violence is the appropriate response.
      Your entire diatribe is nothing but a bi-supremacist xenophobic hate speech. Never before have I ever felt ashamed to call myself bisexual, but after this?

• On October 10, 2015 at 8:32 pm Katz responded with... #

LOL, this was offensive in all the right ways and strangely empowering to read. The grey area, neither the oppressively fully black or white, is always threatening or eagerly erased.

Add your response